The 2020 TWIG Program has been cancelled. We look forward to next year.
Internship and Volunteer Summary
TWIG volunteers and interns can either work alongside adult instructors to help lead garden-based activities for children ages 5-12 in our Summer Camp program, or join one of our Horticulture crews for hands-on garden experience.
TWIGs spend most of their time outdoors, behind-the-scenes, with Red Butte Garden staff, Summer Camp kids, other volunteers, and Garden guests. Additionally, TWIGs learn how to be environmental educators as they gain experience planning and teaching youth programs on a variety of subjects including but not limited to: botany, horticulture, environmentalism, and more. TWIGs will also gain valuable job skills including teamwork, communication, public speaking, and responsibility.
Internship & Volunteer Responsibilities
TWIG Interns & Volunteers needed: June 1 - August 14
Duties include but are not limited to:
Education Assistant TWIGs
- Helping lead instructor prepare daily Red Butte Garden Summer Camp materials
- Assisting lead instructor and other volunteers with classroom management
- Summer Camp shifts: Morning (8:30AM-12:30PM) or Afternoon (12:30PM-4:30PM)
- Summer Camp is a full two-week commitment - at least 30 hours
Horticulture Crew TWIGs
- Assisting crew leads and other volunteers with daily operations by maintaining supplies, facilities, and equipment
- Horticulture crew TWIGs must complete at least 30 hours through three-hour shifts every week for nine weeks (Mon-Thurs 9AM-Noon)
- Applicants will be able to choose which day and crew will work best with their schedule
- Volunteer and internship positions are open to high school students entering Grades 9-12 (ages 14-17, must be age 14 before your first shift)
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- An interest in plants, environmental education, and/or working with children
- Must be flexible and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- If applying for a summer internship, please provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher or mentor, and two references
2021 Application Deadline: March 2021
TWIG volunteer and internship candidates please complete the same application.
After you submit your application, you will be contacted to schedule an interview.
Interviews will take place: April 2021
Back to Volunteer Opportunities page